I am doing and imaginary ‘dance of joy’ right now! Why? Because I overcame my self doubt and ran 6.25 miles today a.k.a. 10K! which means that I am about halfway to the Half marathon goal!! 😀
I had no idea that I could last that long.
I did have to mentally prepare myself for the run from yesterday onwards. I guess it was the ‘fear of failure’ that was making me a little apprehensive about it.
I just had the remind myself of a few things:
- Listen to my body and don’t force anything
- Focus on endurance rather than pace
- Enjoy myself
I think those reminders helped me to relax. I set my expectations pretty low for overall pace and I ran at a very comfortable pace. It was the first time that I took the time to soak in the scenery while running. It was somewhat meditative. It put my mind at ease.
- There were new colorful flowers in bloom that were pleasing to the eye.
- I could hear a river flowing beside the trail with wooden bridges going across.
- There was some farm land being prepped for planting season. A tractor had left behind the signs of its ploughing expertise.
- There were runners and bikers. Most of them offered a generous smile of acknowledgment.
- All dogs were on a leash…I love it when people follow park rules!
The added bonus today was that I accessorized.
- An arm sleeve for my phone (the source of my music and fitness tracking).
- Earphones that stayed in place when I was running…woohoo!
- A water bottle holder
What a difference those accessories made. They helped me stay focused on the run itself.
So how did I do?
The journey shall continue…