Happy 2017! Hope you all had a great holiday season.
The most common theme after the turn of year was “Resolutions”.
People shared what their resolutions were:
- Eat healthier
- Exercise more regularly
- Be more patient
- Generally improve themselves
In most cases, those resolutions are kept intact for about a month…at most! Then life slips back to the usual routine…there no time for the gym, grab a quick bite here and there, just going into auto pilot mode.
So why isn’t there more success with those resolutions?
Here’s my theory:
- It is made to be such an event that there is some self-inflicted pressure making it more of a burden
- There are no short term goals and therefore no immediate rewards for being able to stick to the resolution
- It is assumed to be a one-time deal
- The motivation wears off due to the above two factors
So how can we be more successful?
- Do not wait till New Years to decide to make a change!
- Resolve to make a change as soon as you see a need for it
- Treat every day or week or month as a chance to ‘resolve’ aspects of your life
- Give yourself credit for mini successes. This will motivate you to continue on this path.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself when unsuccessful…just try again. This is your life…you can repeatedly try until you get it right!
A quick way to summarize my thoughts can be through this quote:
“Every day is a chance to be your best!”